Clinical Informatics Committee
What is a HIMSS Chapter Clinical Informatics Committee?
A Clinical Informatics Committee is a standing committee of a local HIMSS Chapter that provides an emphasis on issues of interest and concern to Clinical Informatics. The link with an existing local HIMSS chapter provides an opportunity for a closer working relationship with other leading health IT professionals, clinicians, academia, vendors and consultants on a local and national level.
Mission & Objectives
The primary mission of a HIMSS Chapter Clinical Informatics Committee is to provide critical networking and educational opportunities that enhance the practice of clinicians working in informatics on both a local and national level. Integration and active involvement with other healthcare professionals and health IT leaders is also maximized.
- To provide an opportunity for sharing information, view points and experiences
- To provide structured educational opportunities (preferably with continuing education credit
- To provide opportunities for clinicians to actively participate in HIMSS Society activities and collaborate with other informatics professionals
- To facilitate the emergence and growth of Informatics topics within the industry
- To support current professional initiatives that includes research and development within the various clinician disciplines of informatics
- To effectively communicate with and support the initiatives and efforts of other clinician specific informatics organizations
- To support the of advancement and awareness of Clinical Informatics leaders and roles -- CMIOs (Chief Medical Information Officers) and CNIOs (Chief Nursing Information Officers) networking and education needs at the Chapter level)
- Networking opportunities
- Site visits and demonstrations
- Educational programs
- Additional information regarding Informatics Certification and advanced continuing education credits
Work with the Chapter Board of Directors to schedule meetings and educational sessions. Topics are determined by the level of interest based on membership feedback. An attempt to schedule meetings in conjunction with HIMSS Chapter meetings is strongly encouraged. Clinical Informatics Committee members should also attend Chapter meetings and events. An invitation for other HIMSS members to participate is encouraged. Meetings will be held monthly in the Seattle area.
Clinical Informatics Committee members are encouraged to participate in the HIMSS National Symposia and pre-conference events for clinicians in Informatics; such as the Nursing Informatics Symposium and the Physician IT Symposium.
Informatics & Sister Organizations
Communication with and participation in the endeavors of other existing organizations is strongly encouraged. This cooperation should help strengthen and unify the voice and pursuits of informatics on a national level.
Membership is comprised of but not exclusively limited to clinicians who are HIMSS Chapter members. Other IT professionals closely involved with informatics interests and have a direct working relationship with clinical informatics may be included if desired. Open membership to students/new health IT professionals interested in Clinical Informatics is encouraged.
If Interested, Contact...
We would like to extend a special invitation to become a part of this effort. Any clinician involved with or interested in IT initiatives is encouraged to become a member. Please contact Kelly Nettle via e-mail for additional information or interest in becoming a member.